Burgers Italian Style
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful fresh chopped parsley for meat
- 1 handful fresh chopped parsley for roasted eggplant
- ¼ cup grated Locatelli Romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 cloves garlic, minced for meat
- 3 garlic cloves minced for eggplant
- Bread crumbs (enough to form burgers)
- ¼ cup chopped, pitted Kalamata olives
- ½ cup chopped Portabella and Shitake mushrooms
- 4 thick slices Fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 Eggplant cut into ½ inch round slices
- Olive oil to coat pans
- Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce (see below)
Roast eggplant slices in a greased pan with salt & pepper, minced garlic, parsley, and grated Romano cheese in a 400 degree oven until tender and set aside; ~12 minutes.
In a separate bowl mix meat, spices, grated cheese, egg, bread crumb until combined. Add olives, onions and mushrooms and mix. Form burgers and place in greased pan.
Bake burgers in a 400 degree oven until almost cooked, flipping once. 5 minutes before burgers are cooked, top with 1 eggplant slice, and mozzarella cheese and cook until cheese is melted. Top with mushroom tomato sauce. Serve with sweet potato chips and green beans or a salad
Fire Roasted Tomato Mushroom Sauce
- 1 box fire roasted tomato sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped portabella and shitake mushrooms mixed
- Handful Fresh basil and sprinkle of oregano
- Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
Saute garlic and oil until golden and add onion until soft. Add sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, fresh basil and oregano, and cook for 40 minutes.
Tip: cook eggplant ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to make burgers for easier meal planning. In addition, make the fire roasted tomato sauce ahead to cut down on food prep and cooking time.
Latest posts by Marianne Morano (see all)
- FIT Five: Five Actions, Five Minutes Per Day, Five Days Per Week! - May 8, 2017
- Metabolic Burn - May 8, 2017
- - May 8, 2017